Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I Own This: Yellow Butterfly

Spring is easily my favorite season. The perfect temperatures, spring downpours, budding flowers, increasing quantities of green and school drawing to a close are all right up my alley. Prom and graduation only added to the excitement this year :D In other words, this past winter I was very much anticipating the spring of 2012. So what does a dress junkie pining for spring during the winter do? Buy a springy dress in the middle of cold, wet February of course! 



I was browsing ASOS and came across this gem by Sugarhill Boutique, a designer with a very distinctive line of clothing, mostly consisting of dresses. The cut of this dress is very characteristic of their line, and the crochet butterfly is a sort of trademark of the brand as well. With a discount code lowering the price to just over $50, my dress junkie heart couldn't resist all the beautiful details this dress has to offer.


Yellow is already my favorite color, but there's something very special about this particular shade-- it reminds me of butter, cream, pancake batter and early morning sunshine. But the beautiful embroidered butterfly crochet design was what ultimately stole my heart. I love butterflies, but when incorporated into clothing, they often come across as overly childish and cutesy. The designers of this dress skillfully circumnavigated that, and the butterfly instead lends the dress a very elegant and mature air. In black, it has a rather gothic quality about it.


I was a little nervous ordering this dress at first; it's cut very different than most of the other dresses I own (I prefer dresses that emphasize the waist and then flare outward) and I was worried that I might be too busty and curvy to wear it. When I tried it on, I was correct to think that it would be less flowy on me than most of the other dresses I own, but still fit me surprisingly well.


Something about this dress is so delightfully quirky but still classy. The holes in the crochet, form-fitting cut and short length make it subtly sexy, but I found a nude cami layered underneath makes it appropriate for school.  


The best way that I can describe this dress is that it makes me feel like a magical spring butterfly. It's so beautifully unique, quirky, and classy. I need to make sure I wear it again soon.

Do you have a favorite spring dress? Share a link!
Until later,
Annika

No comments:

Post a Comment